TERA Online forum archive
Posts by clfarron4
I can't remember where I saw this, but someone else proposed a different idea, which was basically "You can either have the normal enchant with the normal amount of mats with the normal enchanting rates, or you can farm X times that amount and have a guaranteed enchant.", where I think X was 7 times the amount of enchant materials (not gold).

Different way about it, but it's something to think about.
It would have to depend on, just like Sky Cruiser Extreme Mode, KTERA getting it and integrating it into their build before it can be shipped out to other regions.
Isn't Gameforge getting RMHM in the next couple of weeks?
CornishRex wrote: »
The amount of packets you can send has been limited so memeslash isn't as effective as before, plus it became more detectable afaik.
Not saying you can't oneshot in pvp, which you still can.

Also technically speaking only valks and priests could memeslash. And old sorc voidpulse.

Doesn't stop parses of 68M/s+ from being uploaded to Moongourd.
@Zoknahal If I believe correctly, the original reason for banning signs was because of being able to grief players anonymously. KTERA fixed this ages ago by adding who posted the sign above the sign itself with an NPC-style name above it (and yes, that is how it works in the NA build). So the problem about spamming profanity can now be dealt with using temporary bans because you can now attribute the sign to the poster.

One legitimate use for signs, even though no-one is supposed to have them in NA TERA, is as location markers in dungeons, most notably in HH P4, because of their size. On EU, signs are generally used to be helpful, for example Guild Recruitment.

I think that if they were to be enabled on the NA build, they would have to be heavily moderated at the beginning to make the point that spamming profanity would not be tolerated, but that would require a surge of GMs to watch it.
@99LEDTXFJ3
There are two drop bonus mechs in play now.

Drop Rate: Increases the number of times the game runs through the loot table. 2x Drop Rate = Double the number of loot items.

Drop Chance: Increases the probabilities of items dropping on the loot table. 2x Drop Chance = Doubles the probability of each item to drop before running through the loot table. Same number of items as standard drops.

@Spacecats @Denommenator @seandynamite Did you use the same type of drop on both of them?

> @UpperDown said:
> They meant "January 5 at 12 a.m. PST" as in today's midnight, hence event not on. You monkeys understand?

PoP is double drop though from event right now, GG is not.
VG rewards are currently doubled so that should include the dragon scales. Is that not the case?

VG rewards were doubled until the New Year, when the event that was in place to double them stopped. Dragon Scales drops were doubled as part of this.

I think what is meant by the original post is that they would like to remind you to please scale all the rewards that were doubled as part of the VG Rewards event accordingly. In the case of this month, that would mean that everything should be tripled from the base build drops by the weekend event and then go back to double, as per the announcement post, including the dragon scales.
Does January have the rewards? If not, then they just haven't put them in.
@G9474MWTNY This is only going to get worse with the Awakening System, where we have already seen video evidence taken from the KTERA Public Test Server of Berserkers pushing their DPS past the 9M/s mark in the revamped 446 RMHM during the first burn phase.

And I believe that the KTERA Test Server for Awakening is under-representative of what we will be capable of here because the gear wasn't Stormcry +9 and th3 amount of Talents available was limited if I am not mistaken.

God knows what that is going to translate to for KC, but I would not be surprised if we see Berserkers soloing bosses in there in 6 seconds (that is, 2 seconds for buffs and 4 of actual killing). And that's gonna be the normal.
admonitu wrote: »
canikizu wrote: »
voidy wrote: »
6R1MM01R3 wrote: »
Even if you have 99% you can fail, that 1% can screw you over.

People have apparently failed at 100% success rate before, but nobody ever screenshots it when it happens.

It does happen actually, I thought it was a myth, but it happened to me once.

That's interesting. It's not that I don't believe you, but i'd REALLY love to see an actual video. The one that shows 100% Success rate clearly and then fail to enchant. Despite the rumor, I haven't seen an actual proof.

I understand that it's difficult to catch that moment in a screenshot or video, but until someone provides concrete proof, failing at 100% success rate is still a rumor.

If we knew how to reproduce it, we'd have video's it already.

As I've stated elsewhere, weapons before pre-65 do start having a lower than 100% rate on them at +6 and higher and for +5 and below, it's 100% regardless for pre-65.

That link that Karma posted is a brilliant example of one that definitely should not have failed, because it is the level 12 Avatar weapon being enchanted from +2 to +3 with 100% success rate. If you don't believe me on the ratr, create a new character on any server, get the level 12 avatar weapon and check the success rate.
Ammutseba wrote: »
I hate to say this and be another one of “those” posts but the past few months for me has been very disheartening. I understand that RNG is RNG and lootboxes are a risk you take, even so, after opening so many boxes it really makes me not even want to log on. & I see a lot of people say ya know just wait for the item you want to come on broker and buy it but I’ve been patrolling the broker and the Cosmetic item I wanted hasn’t been on broker for months. So twice a month since about August ish I’ve bought emp. Not huge amounts but around 40$ and spent it on a specific loot box. I have done that up until today and at this point I guess I’ll just give up. Out of all the boxes I’ve opened monthly I’ve only gotten a few tokens and health potions. I really just hate how you can be so unlucky regardless of how many times you try.

I think you bring up one of the main issues with loot boxes. Not only is there a high chance of not getting what you want, but more than likely you're going to end up with garbage that you don't really need. It would be different if you would get a random "quality" item.

With the way the industry is going, we may at least see services like Steam insist on posting the odds of loot boxes. Apple has already decided to do this with their app store.
Ammutseba wrote: »
I hate to say this and be another one of “those” posts but the past few months for me has been very disheartening. I understand that RNG is RNG and lootboxes are a risk you take, even so, after opening so many boxes it really makes me not even want to log on. & I see a lot of people say ya know just wait for the item you want to come on broker and buy it but I’ve been patrolling the broker and the Cosmetic item I wanted hasn’t been on broker for months. So twice a month since about August ish I’ve bought emp. Not huge amounts but around 40$ and spent it on a specific loot box. I have done that up until today and at this point I guess I’ll just give up. Out of all the boxes I’ve opened monthly I’ve only gotten a few tokens and health potions. I really just hate how you can be so unlucky regardless of how many times you try.

I think you bring up one of the main issues with loot boxes. Not only is there a high chance of not getting what you want, but more than likely you're going to end up with garbage that you don't really need. It would be different if you would get a random "quality" item.

With the way the industry is going, we may at least see services like Steam insist on posting the odds of loot boxes. Apple has already decided to do this with their app store.

Unless CA and NY states get in on the movement and demand that the odds are posted or something like that, I can see EME killing the Steam release over doing that.
Let's see,
1 buy a package
2 sell the boost for half off
3 buy 2 months elite with the gold
4 get 2 1/2 months elite for the price of 1
5 ?
6 profit

Looks win / win from my house

I wonder if the prices of Level 60 Scrolls on MT tanked by at least half to reflect this event, because the whales there are known to do stuff like that whenever something like this happens.
Something that I've seen when chatting with people is that they wouldn't mind straight up forking out 50+ USD for that item they want.

However, this doesn't make instant cash grabs that loot boxes do, and so I don't think would be popular amongst the board of EME, who would be more concerned about making money.
The whole thing looks like an event box for new players that had been originally planned for an event either when level 60 was the cap or when Fate of Arun first came out (when levelling wasn't so fast). At that time, it would have been appropriate.

Today, let's think about it.
1) Gear: You get level 58 gear from the level 58 red story line which is automatically highlighted in Kaiator. This is sufficient to start the level 60 quests. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, you even get posted level 58 gear upon hitting level 60 now. @counterpoint

So, you're left with a spare set of gear from the box that you won't even use.

2) Level 60 scroll: If you're a new player, you get 100% EXP boosts from Buddy Up. And they total a month of real world time, ample time for someone new to the game to work their way to 65.

For a current player, working 8 - 5 5 days a week, you can do it in a week, two if you're really busy. And that time is even less if you're a hard core gamer or well connected.

3) 15 Days Elite: That's what, 7.50 USD normally, or 5~6 USD if you managed to sub whenever EME run their sales on the Elite Subscription.

IMO, the gear as it is is a non-starter because the game gives you it already. It might be something that would be considered by people that have never played Tera before and thus might not have a full grasp of how story quests work, even after Stepstone, but even then, most cases of new players I've seen saying 'I can't kill the bears. Please Help.' are usually met by experienced players that help them get to Kaiator for the level 58 gear.

If it was end-game 65 Frostmetal or Twistshard, then I'd be all for it because 65 is where you really learn the game and enchanting Guardian for a new player is a nightmare because of the gold costs (KTERA recently reduced the gold costs for enchanting in recognition of this).

The level 60 scroll could be worth it, because of levelling culture on NA compared to other regions. If this were other regions, I'd have jumped on it because the levelling culture is generally slower than on NA.

The Elite is so-so, a nice-ish perk for a new player that might of only seen the level 60 scroll and discovered the perks of being able to get around and trade.

All in all, the whole thing looks like an event box for new players.
@TPPW975FPD Just remember, you can fail enchants with 100% success rate (and I mean success rate, not gear EXP obtained for the enchant).

Fun fact: Success Rate for enchanting gear pre-65 actually does decrease from 100% when you're enchanting +6 and higher. So failing enchants pre-65 is actually normal, just not as common.
Catservant wrote: »
LesbianVi wrote: »
You can even fail at 100%, cause there is no 100% in this world.

You are factually incorrect. But are you making a specific reference to a game related problem? Or just getting philosophical?

You can fail at 100.00%, because the game rounds up to decimal places. That is, anything higher than 99.995% is rounded to 100.00%.
Sethadone wrote: »
Brawler not using growing fury?

This is probably one of the worse examples to use. Growing Fury gives the auto-block, power and aggro on all your skills. Without this, it doesn't matter how good a Brawler's DPS may be without it, they won't be able to generate enough aggro.

While we're at it, the following was omitted from today's patch notes, included in other regions:

- Brooches with Attack Speed buffs now share cooldowns. This is in addition to brooches with power buffs sharing cooldowns already.
ElinUsagi wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
I was having a browse through the broker on MT and I realised something:

1) Before the Perma-CCB buff for Elite, CCBs on MT were selling at roughly 100 ~ 110G each.
2) After the Perma-CCB Buff was applied, CCBs instantly dropped in price to 10G each, dropping as low as 3G each before the CCB change was announced.
3) After the announcement was made to change the CCB buff to 6 hour CBs from the Consumable Box, someone bought out all the CCB and are now listing them at 200g each. That's potentially 199G profit for each CCB re-sold.

Nice work EME.

I don't know about other servers, but I would not be surprised if something similar is going on.

I dont really know how that person can make profit from something that drops quite often from dungeons and mobs in the open world.

If EME is going to remove those drops then it will make him get profit, otherwise he only give away his gold to the charity system.

You're assuming that people actually pick them up, and I know a lot of people that don't when doing IoD.
I was having a browse through the broker on MT and I realised something:

1) Before the Perma-CCB buff for Elite, CCBs on MT were selling at roughly 100 ~ 110G each.
2) After the Perma-CCB Buff was applied, CCBs instantly dropped in price to 10G each, dropping as low as 3G each before the CCB change was announced.
3) After the announcement was made to change the CCB buff to 6 hour CBs from the Consumable Box, someone bought out all the CCB and are now listing them at 200g each. That's potentially 199G profit for each CCB re-sold.

Nice work EME.

I don't know about other servers, but I would not be surprised if something similar is going on.
Also, more items in the inventory means more, larger packets being spammed to the server whenever you use an item, because your inventory is called twice whenever you use an item, be it nocts, potions or CCB. Once to check what is in there, once to update it. More items in there means more data to process.
Luniack wrote: »
There two possible ways to fix it:

make an option in Elite bar for turn CCB on/off ( will be great for people who wants screenshots their characters without CCB effect ).

or

turn those achievements ( irrelevant to be honest because, 20 points? really ??? ) legacy.

I support either of these.

Moving it to legacy would make it not count at all towards laurels and then subscribers could have their CCB buff on all the time by going back to 24/7 CCB

Making a switch with on-by-default would require coding, but could also means that you could blast your way through the achievement and then forget about it for the rest of your characters life.
I remember a time, long long ago, when we used to get costume releases on the same day as Gameforge.

I remember a time, long long ago, when we weren't the last to publish content of all the TERA regions.

I remember a time, long long ago, when EME patch notes > Gameforge patch notes.

Come on man. Get it together.
maxis1 wrote: »
> @clfarron4 said:
> EU, published by Gameforge, is the most active server.

I can't tell if your serious or jokeing when Tera whent free to play I joined the EU version by mistake. And after coming over here EU doesn't hold any events hardly and I heard it's cash shop is super p2w.

I am actually being serious. I have level 65 characters on both the EU and NA servers and there are just more people to run with on EU more of the time.That applies to both levelling and endgame content.
Spacecats wrote: »
Removed a couple comments from this thread about removing the VG merchant. Please don't start rumors. Revamping a store doesn't mean it's being removed.

I believe revamp was the original term used for the Federation Bills, but, as we abruptly discovered, it turned out as quick "let's pump out something random before it gets removed".

I'm not surprised about people's sarcastic comments.
Arwen wrote: »
pikpatsou wrote: »
So, right now EU is claiming back the players it lost 3 years ago.

In 6 months, maybe NA will claim back its' lost players. Maybe....
.

I would't blink an eye to everything you said...
Except that I never played the EU version before, and like me I think there are many that never played on EU server and never intended to. It is sad that it has come to this, as i said, i signed up on Tera for the first focus tests even before tera came to west back in 2010. This is some kind of dedication from my side, and like me i think there are still some players that feel a bit abandoned and in a way "betrayed" by the state of things atm.
I hate that i like to play on EU because there are more players than on my home Tera.

I know a lot of EU players that jumped when Gameforge did the MWA thing a couple of years back. And most of them that haven't yet quit TERA went back to Gameforge because they've really pushed hard to make things a lot better, while EME has seemingly sunk in reputation.

And we're talking a notable number of entire guilds that moved to NA going back, not just a few people.
I'll frame my experience of Gameforge TERA like this:

Right now, if I were recommending a region to play TERA out of EU and NA for a good community experience, I would be recommending EU because:

1) There is more activity going on all the time on EU, much more than on NA. This applies to both levelling and endgame. Like, we meme GF for being dead from days gone past. That's not the case these days.
2) The events are more interesting in general. From the levelling events to the 4 sets of 10 dungeons you do for rewards, and lately the event for the event stamp shards. It's just more involved.
3) Interaction with the GMs. On the "unofficial" Discord that is used for TERA Gameforge, there are Gameforge GMs in there. Not only that, the Gameforge staff use it as part of their communication of news of GF events for serious stuff, but at the same time use it as a discussion platform for TERA (and other stuff) be it serious or cracking jokes. At this moment in time, I don't remember the last time I've seen that type of interaction with staff from EME.
4) Communication of general news. It's earlier, generally more "correct" and is done across more channels.

I could probably go on, but I'm gonna stop at this point.

If I didn't have any active friends on NA, I'd have packed my bags long time ago.
EU, published by Gameforge, is the most active server.
Azuriela wrote: »
anyone else?

I beleive the recent migration is a downgrade, because it appears to take less players than before to push the servers at their limits before weird stuff happens.
Considering the recent sales, I'm not sure whether the appetite would be there for the boxes listed.
Naru2008 wrote: »
Salvatori wrote: »
I wish EME could hire Tera EU community manager. He seems to be a better event planner than ours...

Here's the difference. GameForge is not a part of BlueHole Studios, therefor they have more freedom of what events they can hold, and in what capacity.

Whereas here at EnMasse, the staff are limited and over-seen by BHS with decisions regarding events, etc. If BHS doesn't approve it, we don't get it. Simple.

Things are a lot stricter when you have someone having to approve each change or promotion you make.

Pretty much this.

If I remember correctly, Gameforge have, on top of the Dreadspire Revamp, Extreme Modes planned for Abcess, Kelsiak and another dungeon which I can't remember. Heck, I was chatting to one of the Gameforge staff about adding the skeletons from HH into DSU for funsies, but I'm not sure whether he got it to trigger the skeletons or not.

If EME could get the authorisation to run stuff like this, then we'd be in for a fun ride.
If I am not mistaken, Gameforge for EU (and quite possibly Destiny Games for RU) don't do class-locked levelling events for the reasons that have been outlined in the thread.

From what I have seen of the last few events, they basically operate with a "You can level one of whatever class you like during the event and get some rewards, but if you level the newly released promo, that character will be mailed some extra goodies". And from what I've seen, that model works. Maybe something to consider for the future?

And on the point of some of the items included in the boxes (Elite Vouchers, I am looking at you), I am aware that Gameforge does not go anywhere near putting subscription vouchers as rewards from boxes, but instead publish a code that adds X amount of days to your subscription (or makes you a subscriber for X days if not one already) which can only be redeemed once per account. I am aware that EME have done this in the past for compensation over the lag issues over the RMHM release. Maybe this could be something to consider as a method for distributing Elite in a way that can't be abused by creating lots of characters to make subscription vouchers?
In case you weren't aware, it appears that EME have temporarily replaced the Opening Act Loot Box (and the corresponding Smart Box) with Dummy Items, probably so that you cannot try to loot items that are not currently in the game yet!
This a point I brought up on the Official Discord weeks ago and I think it's worth saying here for the Elin Gunner.
They straight up didn't allow race changing to Elin Gunner in KTERA, so the mechanism for actually doing the change might not be there at all
MarkDRx wrote: »
Currently it is one hour earlier than it was before the daylights saving change from EDT to EST.

CU:V Used to begin at 9pm EDT, it now begins at 8pm EST.

It's technically the same time because 8pm EST IS 9pm PDT, you know, cos Daylight Savings.

TL;DR: At a technical level, they'd like to leave the timings as they are because they know they work, where if you change Unrest times, you'd also have to change a load of reset times to match across the different time conversion methods that are used in game.

====

The problem they have had in the past with previous in-game events such as Unrest and Rally BAMs not firing at the correct time is because the original TERA game is coded to run in Korean Standard Time (which doesn't have a corresponding Dayloght Savings).

To compound things, EME were using a method of timezone conversion to get the events to fire in American timezones accordingly, but after the Civil Unrest times were fixed, BHS appear to have added some things into the build which convert timezones for specific events. As a result, you have events which are firing using at least two different time conversion methods AND some events that run off UTC as well.
Zoknahal wrote: »
He got banned for using a chat exploit, and spammed megaphone chat, a thing not available in NA. He got what he was looking for.

It technically was available from the long gone 2013 Hunter's Boxes if I remember correctly. It's just that EME never disabled the channel when they made the item no longer available.
> @Denommenator said:
> Dokibun wrote: »
>
> You need to disable megaphones, that's what screenshots from EU have told us.
>
>
>
>
> Megaphones are disabled in the EME version.

The ITEM is disabled, but is the corresponding chat channel disabled?
It has already been proven on TERA EU, published by Gameforge, that you can post any image that you desire into chat. Any. And the Koreans are well aware of this as well.
the success chance stat you see is rounded up to 2 decimal places.

If you see 100% and still fail, that's understandable because there is that small ~0.001% chance of failing, but with that luck, seriously, go buy a couple of lottery tickets.

This.
2. Warrior: If not mistaken, +240 have been the scythe crit cap, so anything under that is a mistake, also around 30% of warrior damage had been said that comes from Blade Draw, so under +260 will effect Blade Draw definitely as you see way less white Blade Draw with +260, etching can be mixed with Pumped and Energetic, personal preference on warrior. I have doubts around Tank War tho, since Warrior get frontal crit buff, I think that number can still works for them, that needs more tests.

Those are HH numbers, where crit resist is higher than all the other content in the game.

At current, I am running 52 +195 for DPS and 52 + 198 for Tanking for all content outside of HH and I am not seeing any white hits from Scythe.
biboy24 wrote: »
Can someone confirm what is the Size of the new patch? it said 9.4gb on steam but when I patch it on the Launcher its not that kinda big?

Unfortunately, TERA on Steam served by EME is only updated with major gear patches and the validation of the files that you do get doesn't match the official TERA EME patch servers, hence why you get massive updates through Steam.

EME kinda bailed on the development of this part of the EME release of TERA due to publishing issues outside of the NA reguin, which means this is going to be the same every single patch.

Interestingly, Gameforge got Steam updates to work by making their version of Steam only account for the Launcher and have the Launcher handle the 35 GB of game. Maybe something to consider for future development @seandynamite ?
Yeah, precisely what I'm saying. When they were using load balancing, it picked the ideal route for your connection.. So neither of us would lag. Forcing everyone through one carrier is just a bad way to run an MMO but maybe tera doesn't have the money these days.

I actually really liked the load balance trial they did earlier this year as well. Yes, my ping did go up slightly, but I got a much better connection in terms of stability.
@seandynamite I like this style of writing. It's quick, short and to the point, whilst conveying the points that you want across.

@UdonPasta Amethysts and Pearls I don't think were mentioned by Loriri in their KTERA spreadsheet so I don't think they're getting any love.
Shikine wrote: »
Why are you upset I can't understand.

Insider trading is the buying or selling of a security by someone who has access to material nonpublic information about the security.

This is why a lot of people are upset. EME gave information to players that didn't sign an NDA about it, and they used it to do exactly this. Insider Trading.

Now, this is a game, so you'd fail a court case for Insider Trading. Even so, people are pissed.

LesbianVi wrote: »
@aeee98 So because players (level 65 which can make around 1K by doing 3 IOD bam quest less than 15 mins) need to spend 1K gold on getting some skills, BHS shouldn't have done that? You know these changes is done for the sake of newbies and makes leveling up really helpful and way more interesting for them?

A level 65 is not a newbie anymore, specially if they got Guile as you suggest, and if they got Guile, they can make at least 2k-5K gold in 1 hour by just doing IOD.

Only problem with this as people mentioned and hopefully EME remember is why it wasn't brought to them by BHS and how they didn't know.
LesbianVi wrote: »
I don't think on EU and Ktera which making golds is way harder people cried for this and tried to bring logic. Sigh.

Maybe because those regions were warned before hand that skill changes were coming. This is Gameforge's patch notes whilst these were ours and Spacecats effectively said that EME were unaware of this change
LesbianVi wrote: »
A level 65 is not a newbie anymore, specially if they got Guile as you suggest, and if they got Guile, they can make at least 2k-5K gold in 1 hour by just doing IOD.

Because of the way the game has evolved and done a very bad job of teaching new players how to endgame and how to play their classes, it's going to take at least a month before you can claim that fresh level 65s are not new players on the skills front, because the new players before patch is going to have to go through rotations and the new players after patch have to actually get to 65.

Also, Guile is literally handed to a player on a plate in such a way that doesn't really teach a new player to play either, so new players with Guile before patch are going to be just as clueless.
> @66ECX7NAN7 said:
> It's not the same gold amount. A level 65 player who upgraded everything before today had to pay more for the old ranks. For example a warrior that had Scythe II before today would have paid over 100 gold for both ranks, while now Scythe II is worth less than 1 gold because Scythe is now a low level skill.

@Obs This guy knows what's up. Also, for someone that plays Warrior, I'm surprised that you haven't noticed that you had to pay for your entire Blade Draw I to VII chain again, when you already had Blade Draw VII before patch.
Ves1978 wrote: »
Catservant wrote: »
Some warning would have been nice!

This is awful. Working so hard to save up and now a 600+ gold expense per character.

If I wanted to pay taxes I'd do real world stuff. :frown:

i mean, you didn't have an obligation to learn skills. you could simply keep playing with what you have and save 600 gold :D

Erm... If Warriors don't upgrade their skills and save 1k G, you're looking at keeping their main DPS skill (Scythe) at level 24 stats...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oNFyLfTcBLTAODN0WAeIcWpzhoKQY1d-9bgW40SedAs/edit#gid=1000829468

Level 65 Scythe IX hits for at least 3.5M in current content. Level 24 Scythe II hits for considerably less (I'm guessing maybe 100k at most) in level 65 gear.
@Spacecats @Denommenator @CobaltDragon @Halrath @seandynamite

Where on this page does it say that skills were going to be re-adjusted for all the levels? And where does it say that we were going to have to relearn them all again? I ask, because I don't see it.

http://i.imgur.com/iPCvtTf.jpg

927G 84S 48B was the cost for one toon to relearn all the skills. Are you expecting everyone to spend that much on every toon?

====

And then there was the skill bars. Most people are missing half their skill bars from skills being remade and items being changed (I lost all my tryhard items from my skill bars as well on all of my toons).

It would have been nice for some warning of this beforehand so that people could screenshot their skill bars before they have to guess all of them again. And some of these are pretty intricate.
So, I've noticed the following changes outlined in today's patch notes:
EME wrote:
- Berserker
-- Staggering Strike is now Sweeping Strike.
--- Name change better reflects the skill's effects.

----

- Warrior
-- Staggering Counter is now Spinning Counter.
--- Name change better reflects the skill's effects.

Like, if you're going to change the name of a skill, then surely you'd put in the primary mechanic of the skill, which is a stun, not a spin?

And why change it now to something that is just as inaccurate after 4 years? People have been fine with it all this time.
A friend of mine suggested that I should link his suggestion here, since he thinks it is relevant.
A friend of mine that wants me to stop talking about the whole 3-rd party program thing about TERA asked me to post the following PGP signed message here, giving an informal security analysis of one "exploit" in TERA and how it could be fixed. They do not currently play TERA and currently does not have any interest in doing so.

You can find this gist also posted on their Github.

You can verify the integrity of this message by copying everything in the below code block into https://keybase.io/verify. If after clicking "Verify" it does not say "Signed by andesho91" with a link to my public PGP key hosted at https://keybase.io/andesho91, then the entire codeblock should be considered compromised as it will have been edited by some that is not the author of the message.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

To whom it may concern,

To the majority of the TERA community that I am addressing today, I am quite happy to accept that I will be seen as a nobody as I do not play TERA. I vaguely remember playing a character on Mount Tyrannas very briefly but that's about it. The reason I'm writing this to the TERA community is more to get one of my friends who plays off my back about recent "security" issues that the game has had, because they it won't shut up about it

Professionally, I work as a software programmer based in the UK, with the additional responsibilities as a Cryptography Researcher and an Information Security Researcher. Prior to my current employment, I completed two separate Masters Degrees in "Information Security" and "Mathematics of Cryptography and Communications" at Royal Holloway College, University of London, and a Bachelors in Mathematics at the University of Glasgow.

As I have been informed over the last year, there have been a variety of software that have been used by TERA players to "enhance", "equalise" and/or "improve" their gaming experience for whatever reason, with some of it unfortunately being malicious, causing 3 notable scandals in the process amongst the community.

As a clarification on wording before I begin, I will be using the word "Exploit" as it seems to be the term currently preferred by the publishers for the North America Regions of TERA, En Masse Entertainment, to refer to such software, though the term has negative connotations and others in the community refer to it in a positive manner.

I will be address one specific exploit here. If I come to understand the workings of other exploits, then I may provide further security analyses for them in the future.

====

What is the Exploit?: Usage of software to provide a "fast-fire" functionality to major DPS skills of the Archer, Gunner and Ninja Classes to simulate low ping environments.

- ----

Why is it being used?: The major DPS skills in question (Rapid Fire, Burning Heart and Burst Fire) are dependent on user input for each activation of the skill. where: "activation time of the skill" = "ping tax" + "skill animation time". As "skill animation time" is effectively constant, ping tax is the factor that influences how long these skills take to cast

    Comparing a player with 10ms and 110ms, which are both reasonable ping estimates to get for North American players to the North America TERA servers, if both players cast all 10 activations of Burning Heart at the same time, the 10ms ping player will finish their skill at least an entire second before the player with 110ms does. The other skills suffer from similar time differences.

    The incentive for the 110ms ping Burning Heart user to use the aforementioned exploit is that it removes the extra one second of ping tax it takes for them to cast all 10 activations of the skill when compared to the 10ms ping player.

- ----

Proposed Security Fix (Burning Heart): - One activation of this skill will now fire 5 animations of Burning Heart at the same speed at the same speed with 0 ping tax, irrespective of ping (similar to the Traverse Cut skill for Warriors).
    - One activation of this skill will now cost 500 Chi (similar to how Rampage costs the entire Rage meter of the Brawler).
    - The cooldown of this skill has been removed.

Proposed Security Fix (Rapid Fire): - One activation of the skill will now fire all 7 animations of Rapid Fire at the same speed with 0 ping tax, irrespective of ping (similar to the Traverse Cut skill for Warriors).
    - Each animation of the skill can be chained into Sequential Fire to prematurely end the skill if required (similar to how Blade Draw can be chained into from the second hit of Traverse Cut on Warriors to end the chain).
    - The first animation of the skill resets the cooldown of Sequential Fire.

Proposed Security Fix (Burst Fire): - One activation of the skill fire all the animations of the skill at the same speed with 0 ping tax, irrespective of ping (similar to the Traverse Cut skill for Warriors).
    - Each animation of the skill can be interrupted by any Gunner skill. If it is not possible to make all skills interrupt an animation of Burst Fire, one candidate for a suitable skill to do this is Blast, as it can be used to "animation cancel" many Gunner skills (similar to how Blade Draw can be chained into from the second hit of Traverse Cut on Warriors to end the chain).

- ----

Proposed Outcome of the Proposed Security Fixes: By implementing the above changes, the activation time of the skill becomes solely dependent on the animation of the skill, regardless of the players ping.
    No Ping Dependence = No Incentive to use fast-fire Exploits.
    No Incentive to use fast-fire Exploits = One Less Exploit in the Game.

====

I hope that this informal security analysis like this, for issues that the players seem to ba having in TERA, is the beginning of a fruitful series of discussions that will both hopefully reduce the number of exploits in the game and improve the TERA experience for the players of TERA as a whole.

Yours Faithfully,

Andes Ho

PS: The Proposed Security Fixes have been submitted to EME as Support Ticket #090517-000284 and will also posted on the current EME forums by forum user clfarron4 on behalf of myself. It will also emailed to contact[at]enmasse.com/community[at]enmasse.com, and posted to the EME Official Discord Server by myself, Andes Ho (andesho91@gmail.com).

PPS: This is a PGP signed message which can be verified by copy-pasting everything in the code block into https://keybase.io/verify. If after clicking "Verify" it does not say "Signed by andesho91" with a link to my public PGP key hosted at https://keybase.io/andesho91, then the entire codeblock should be considered compromised as it will have been edited by some that is not the author of the message.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
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=31PQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
@ScrubLife Certain parts of such programs are made to implement functionality to improve the game in a way that the players have been asking for years, for example optimisations and ping equalisation across certain skills.

Why would you want ping equalisation across classes? Well this post explains it pretty well. And guess what? We've been asking for it for years and nothing has been about it. So some players took matters into their own hands.

And before you say that these programs can make skills fire faster than 0 ping, they can't because they'd fail the cooldown validation and the server would reject the request
Luniack wrote: »
Spacecats wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

So, how could things possibly be changes so that with these multi-hit skills do the same amount of hits in a similar time irrespective of ping? Well, there are a two ways that I can see:

1) The 3rd party programs to emulate low ping. Yes, we know which ones. And it would seem that this is not a preferred approach by EME

2) Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

It can be pretty unfortunate for players with higher ping to use those skills, I agree. There are often "high latency builds" for glyphs and rotations that simply ignore those abilities in the case that your ping is so high that it affects them. That's not an excuse for why the skills shouldn't be changed mechanically, but there are workarounds. There are players out there that still do decent DPS (enough to clear hard mode dungeons) with those other builds.

On the 3rd party program side of things, there are players using programs that flip things around so that they're actually doing way more DPS than anyone else who isn't using a 3rd party program. I'm not saying they all function like that or that it's even a majority of people, but when it happens it changes from a solution to blatantly cheating the system and other players, and we have to act on that.

Spacecats you can't understand about people who have high ping, there no way to do a simple dps or tanking bosses on pve, mechanics can kill you fast without appear at your scream, and at pvp... well, any low ping person have more chances to beat you, it's simple.
Look this exemple:

I'm not toxic, i'm just leaving facts about players like me who not alive in US and spend money and life at this game, who needs same considerate than people who alive closes from server.

Anyway, thanks for opening dialogue with us.

Still having lag issues. The event seems to one cause of one set of lag and then Savvis doesn;t seem to happy right now either.
tracert diag.enmasse.com

Tracing route to diag.enmasse.com [208.67.49.180]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *       12 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.193
  4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  31.55.186.208
  5    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  195.99.127.110
  6    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  213.137.183.100
  7    13 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ldn-brdr-01.qwest.net [195.66.225.34]
  8    82 ms    82 ms    81 ms  65.120.31.74
  9   104 ms   105 ms   103 ms  206.28.100.13
 10    81 ms     *       81 ms  cr1-pos-0-8-2-0.jfk2.savvis.net [204.70.192.121]
 11   103 ms   102 ms   103 ms  cr1-te-0-1-0-0.chd.savvis.net [206.28.100.229]
 12   103 ms   103 ms   102 ms  hr3-xe-8-0-0.elkgrovech3.savvis.net [204.70.198.73]
 13   102 ms   102 ms   102 ms  64.37.205.6
 14   102 ms   102 ms   102 ms  208.67.49.180

Hop 8 is the EU/NA Atlantic Crossing
Angeline wrote: »
I'm keeping a running tally on this thread, which might be more accurately re-titled EME DO SOMETHING - as so many of them are these days.

After a week of radio silence on what must rank in the top three mEMEs in Tera's history, Spacecats (i.e. an "official" response) has posted upwards of five times in this thread.

Let's review this "official response" to, may I remind you, a player essentially begging EME to do something about the rising tide of "exploits" (which I, personally, define separately from the QoL fixes that proxy devs have provided for the playerbase):
  1. blaming the community for "supporting" hackers
  2. plugging the new EME discord
  3. blaming the hackers for not emailing communityatsomethingdotsomething with fixes
  4. changing the title of the thread
  5. going off on some tangent about what hackers do/don't do when they're not hacking
  6. posting a non-working link to a video

So far, I have not read an actual response to the call for EME to "do something." Maybe it's in that video I can't see?

Can you get us on with BHS? Let's do a Q and A with the devs over there. Other games do that. DO. SOMETHING.

Erm. Hello? https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/comment/173344/#Comment_173344

I think you missed another type of post
Spacecats wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »

This was in 2015, when Bathysmal Rise and Sky Cruiser Endeavor were the top dungeons.

It's not memeslash, but it's a piercing projectile skill doing the exact same thing as memeslash.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this Arcane Pulse exploit no longer works thanks to a game update, right?

It was probably fixed at the time, or not long after.

However, since it is a piercing projectile skill, all someone would need to do today is modify the code that makes memeslash work by changing the skill affected to Arcane Pulse.

The reason that people use Dream Slash over Arcane in this particular exploit is that it enables much more utility of the Valkyrie skill set than Arcane does for Sorc when executing the exploit.
Spacecats wrote: »
Now that you are openly answering, is there any official statement about why a bug from 2015 now know as Memeslash wasnt fix in your "security update"? This is game breaking, but wasnt even touched on the patch, which was mainly aimed at dpsmeters and proxy in general, even tho Memeslash can be done WITHOUT PROXY (omg, crazy ik). So even if u made proxy/dpsmeters obsolete, bug will still be there. Any info on that particular subject? @Spacecats

If memeslash was made in 2015 it's news to me. The Valkyrie didn't even come out until this year. Granted it might be based off an existing hack, but then I'd question why people don't just use the original. You only see it with Valkyrie. Unless of course the original hack was made unusable by some kind of security fix.

This was in 2015, when Bathysmal Rise and Sky Cruiser Endeavor were the top dungeons.



It's not memeslash, but it's a piercing projectile skill doing the exact same thing as memeslash.
Spacecats wrote: »
\We have gotten no such offers. The e-mail is Community(at)enmasse(dot)com. It's public knowledge.

@Spacecats Wait, so you're telling me that making the suggestions in the Forums, Filing Support Tickets and Posting in Game Suggestions is not the correct way to contact En Masse Entertainment to share highly technical fixes to improve the TERA experience, but an e-mail address which is listed on a page that I would not associate with submitting such type of suggestions?

I can say that I certainly did not associate that page with suggesting highly technical fixes.

Okay.

Secondly,
clfarron4 wrote: »
Bunch of meaningless drivel.

You keep bringing up how EME can fix the code, change the skill, do a revamp for multi-hit or charging skills to address ping, etc.... How many times do we have to say... EME can't do that. Only BHS can. Until you get that in your head, you're going to keep saying all of these pipe dreams. The player council discord?? Do you think BHS even gives a flip about that?

EME is the publisher and distributor for NA. Not the developer. 5 years after TERA's release and you still can't figure that out.

EU TERA implemented fixes to memeslash independently of BHS, and JTERA mod the hell out of their client (but JTERA are, in sorts, the lead developers of JTERA of all content that isn't in the stock build). Heck, BHS actually take stuff from the JTERA build because they like it. If they can do it, then why can't EME?
There are two possible theories on how I've seen people believe it works:
1) It goes to the highest DPS raid, even if that raid is 1 person.
2) It goes to the raid (even if its a 1 person raid) that loots it first.

Since Ranks denote raid DPS, if (1) applied, then it would only be the top 2 ~ 3 ranks that would get it. However, I led a Rally yesterday where the Rank 5 raid got it. If (1) were the case, then this should not be possible.

This leads me to believe that (2) is the case, further backed up by the video of a certain memeslasher that has done Rally solo several times and managed to claim all the boxes by being the only person alive to claim them.
Vindicting wrote: »
Tbh, this game deserves to die. Players got sick of waiting for BHS to fix [filtered], they saw their chance to fix it themself and took it. For YEARS ppl asked optimization to BHS. What did they give us? Nothing. Now there is a Noc lag fix, FPS utility/modifications of s1 engine, and even a mod that forces the UI to be processed by the GPU instead of CPU ( bc aparently the option was there, but never enabled). For years players asked BHS to fix ping reliable skills such as Burst fire, Rapid fire and chains (with more than 200ms, u cant chain spring atack, blade draw or Sundering/shadow burst). Now there is a fix called SP.
Are you really that surprised that ppl took the matter in their own hands?.
If ppl were able to fix the game as a hobby, BHS could have done it, but they didnt give a [filtered]. Thats why this game deserves to die.
The pandora's box has been opened, security updates wont do anything. Stop wasting time talking about if proxy is good or bad and start looking for a solution, bc proxy isnt going anywhere, like it or not.
Also, yea, this post is agains rules of forums and will get closed.
This is what I don't understand, people keep blaming but nobody is looking for solutions. And all the forum whiteknights like counterpoint and ElinUsagi don't even understand basic computer networking. They still somehow manage to be so arrogant and assume they are right despite being told they are wrong by knowledgeable people who have feats to back their claims up.

From what I understand, some of the mass usage of certain programs, which can be used malicious to exploit the game, started out of a means to fix some skill fundamental to their class, which then developed into what we see today.

Back in April, I made a suggestion to address this very issue, but it was brushed off by EME staff. I have since tried again to make this suggestion with no response, and I have a thread in Game Suggestions.

I've also tried getting other related discussions going for PvE and PvP content, with the goal of discussion what breaks with each class in the hope that other potential modifications come out of it to further reduce the need for third party programs, but no-one particularly seems to want to discuss it on here.

I further referenced my suggestion on the Player Council Discord, only to have it brushed off with the "it's BHS" by a PC member, which made me feel like no-one there wants to know about suggestions for fixing the game.

I've also made a support ticket, just so I can make my suggestions, even though there is no actual place for suggesting technical solutions to the game.

Yes, my suggestion is one of those "difficult" fixes that requires a lot of work to be done, but at this point, we are well beyond the point where plaster-patches will both fix the issue and de-incentivise players to use 3-rd party programs to do what BHS hasn't done and an actual difficult fix is needed.
Could I make suggestions on how changes could be made to the game so that some people do not feel that they have to use certain third party programs?

Actually, I will make my suggestion anyways, a suggestion I made back in May when things blew up over these.
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

Why? Well.
clfarron4 wrote: »
Spacecats wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

So, how could things possibly be changes so that with these multi-hit skills do the same amount of hits in a similar time irrespective of ping? Well, there are a two ways that I can see:

1) The 3rd party programs to emulate low ping. Yes, we know which ones. And it would seem that this is not a preferred approach by EME

2) Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

It can be pretty unfortunate for players with higher ping to use those skills, I agree. There are often "high latency builds" for glyphs and rotations that simply ignore those abilities in the case that your ping is so high that it affects them. That's not an excuse for why the skills shouldn't be changed mechanically, but there are workarounds. There are players out there that still do decent DPS (enough to clear hard mode dungeons) with those other builds.

Let's see:

Rapid Fire (Archer): If i'm not mistaken, since the Archer Revamp, this skill is both a core DPS skill because it got buffs and contributes to a secondary buff mechanic. For higher ping players, using it means they get to use the secondary mechanic at the cost of doubling the time it takes to cast the skill; not using it means a severely reduced usage of the secondary mechanic and no equivalent fillers to make up for the DPS loss that a low ping player would have. I would say that's a significant disadvantage to them, even if they can clear without it. EDIT: Luniack's post below explains this visually very well with a video reference AND is applicable to players within the United States and Canada.

Burning Heart (Ninja) and Burst Fire (Gunner): If I'm not mistaken, these are intermediary DPS skills that you use with the secondary meters whilst the big skills (so, Fire Avalanche and Balders) are on cool down. And I believe that they can hit for quite a bit. Leaving them in slows down your rotation because you are casting them slower (therefore lowering your overall DPS) and I don't think that eliminating them from a rotation is a good idea because it'd be quite a notable DPS loss.

Shield Barrage (Lancer) and Rising Fury (Warrior): Whilst these skills are only two activation long chains, they are core skills that you use often to activate other important skills (Spring Attack for Lancer, Blade Draw for Warrior). For Lancer, high ping does noticeably slow down Shield Barrage, which adds up over the course of a fight and removing this skill from the rotation is essentially the same as kissing the class goodbye (yeah, it literally doesn't work without this skill). For Warriors, again it's slower, though it's a minor convenience if you remove Rising Fury.

There are other skills which I could probably add into this as well, but I mostly play Warrior and Lancer.
@Halrath Could I make suggestions on how changes could be made to the game so that some people do not feel that they have to use certain third party programs?

Actually, I will make my suggestion anyways, a suggestion I made back in May when things blew up over these.
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.
Doesn't it cost close to 50mil to go from Top Tier +0 to Top Tier +12 or something?
From what I've seen 300 total crit after all the buffs (Mystic/Growing Fury) is the maximum you should be using if you are not using the Triple Crit Haymaker Glyph and not running HH. So that's 50 base + 250 extra crit.

If we treat Growing Fury now as an effective permanent buff, because it has no CD and it should only take you 10 seconds to get to a full rage bar from empty, then you're looking at +200 crit.

This leaves us with two different setups:
- Priests: There are no more sources of crit to account for, so you're looking at +200 crit from jewellery/etchings etc.
- Mystics: +2.2x crit = 60 crit, so you're looking at +140 crit from jewellery/etchings etc.

Both are obtainable through jewellery alone, so you shouldn't be using Keen Etchings.
I'm getting server lag spikes when people are meme-slashing. I believe meme-slash works by spamming damage packets, hence the spike.
I've seen three different things today in CS:
1) People Injecting through gates.
2) People meme-slashing
3) People Injecting to the top of ladders.
On MT, Kelsaik had spawned and had been killed a full three minutes before the server-side announcement for it happened...
For me, it's really weird, because when I randomly check my ping to diag.enmasse.com, my ping is lower after Thursday's maintenance, but it would seem that I'm getting more instability in my connection, which I'm noticing because my ability to block and iframe mechanics has gone down without me changing anything on my end.

They definitely have changed something on their network infrastructure, because my Internet traffic is now mostly being carried to EME by carriers I've never heard of.
@Spacecats A while ago, we had a brief discussion about skills being affected by ping. In case you reminder, I've quoted the main part of it below.
Spacecats wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

So, how could things possibly be changes so that with these multi-hit skills do the same amount of hits in a similar time irrespective of ping? Well, there are a two ways that I can see:

1) The 3rd party programs to emulate low ping. Yes, we know which ones. And it would seem that this is not a preferred approach by EME

2) Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

It can be pretty unfortunate for players with higher ping to use those skills, I agree. There are often "high latency builds" for glyphs and rotations that simply ignore those abilities in the case that your ping is so high that it affects them. That's not an excuse for why the skills shouldn't be changed mechanically, but there are workarounds. There are players out there that still do decent DPS (enough to clear hard mode dungeons) with those other builds.

I, a relative newcomer onto the multiplayer gaming scene at 3 years that doesn't work in the gaming industry, would like to ask you, an experienced manager in several games companies, on the back of this if you. or indeed the community, can share these "high latency builds" for PvP content. Preferably, I would like it done in the following format:

- Class:
- Skill:
- Low Ping Functionality:
- Functionality lost as latency increases, and the ping at which the functionality is lost:
- What is the workaround for the functionality lost? And does this make up for the functionality lost?:
@Spacecats A while ago, we had a brief discussion about skills being affected by ping. In case you reminder, I've quoted the main part of it below.
Spacecats wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
@Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

So, how could things possibly be changes so that with these multi-hit skills do the same amount of hits in a similar time irrespective of ping? Well, there are a two ways that I can see:

1) The 3rd party programs to emulate low ping. Yes, we know which ones. And it would seem that this is not a preferred approach by EME

2) Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.

It can be pretty unfortunate for players with higher ping to use those skills, I agree. There are often "high latency builds" for glyphs and rotations that simply ignore those abilities in the case that your ping is so high that it affects them. That's not an excuse for why the skills shouldn't be changed mechanically, but there are workarounds. There are players out there that still do decent DPS (enough to clear hard mode dungeons) with those other builds.

I, a relative newcomer onto the multiplayer gaming scene at 3 years that doesn't work in the gaming industry, would like to ask you, an experienced manager in several games companies, on the back of this if you. or indeed the community, can share these "high latency builds" for PvE content. Preferably, I would like it done in the following format:

- Class:
- Skill:
- Low Ping Functionality:
- Functionality lost as latency increases, and the ping at which the functionality is lost:
- What is the workaround for the functionality lost? And does this make up for the functionality lost?:
Telling us Reapers need a nerf is useless.

What about Reapers needs nerfing?
Partyblast wrote: »
http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/classes/priest

I'm really glad Priests get contagion at level 65, shame it only does what Divine Intervention does.

I do love teleporting to campfires though.

Homeward Bound: Best. Skill. Ever.
@Spacecats @Halrath @Denommenator @seandynamite Excuse me, but I'd like to ask if Zerkers are getting Incendiary Trap and Close Quarters as new skills? As I highlighted above, they are currently not skills that Zerkers have in their toolkit, but the EME official class guide says they are.
TERA doesn't run well not matter what you run it on. You're gonna hit issues.

However, TERA does follow standard gaming behaviour that it uses between 2 ~ 4 CPU cores and higher processor IPCs mean better performance.

Given that, you might as well just build a Intel gaming rig or an AMD Ryzen gaming rig that you would use for games today.

Why not pre-Ryzen? Most AMD stuff pre-Ryzen has much lower IPCs than current Intel or AMD Ryzen processors, so whilst the price might look good, the performance for a game that doesn't utilise CPU cores well is not going to be great.
When are Zerkers going to get these skills? It says on Class Game Guide that the main DPS skills for party play are Incendiary Trap and Close Quarters.

CzHmW08.png
Halrath wrote: »
No light to shed on this, but I've referred it to QA. See if our resident genius can help out.

Okay, so I did some testing and on my end, it appears that:
1) You lose the stacks on KD as intended
2) If you have 6 or less and you take damage, you don't lose them
3) If you have 7 or more and you take damage, then you lose them.
Hot damn. I thought CH was the stable bastion of servers that would never go down, no matter what. Apparently too much RP can bring down a server.
Time to move to Australia yo. 40 ping and stable servers.
LesbianVi wrote: »
Meanwhile in BHS HQ:

Employee to Boss: Sir, did you see that video?
Boss: Yeah, I know what exactly happen in my game.
Employee: So sir, shouldn't we do anything about it?
Boss: Of coarse you moron
Employee: OK sir, I call the DEV to .....
Boss: dude, call the costume designers, don't you see, even cheaters use costumes, there is good money in it, stop everything, use some old models and tweak them and release more costumes.
Employee: Commits Seppuku.

FTFY
Axely wrote: »
gotta cyclone > measure slice

Oh man. Spin 2 Win into Measured Slice <3
@seandynamite Are Zerkers getting a new skill or something? I ask because Measured Slice isn't currently a Zerker Skill, but it is mentioned under the Zerker section of the patch notes, as I highlighted here.
UpTuedO.png

Dunno about you, but I'm [filtered] stoked about Zerkers getting Measured Slice. Like, an insta-cast DPS skill that is gonna hit for a crap tonne so I don't have to charge. Hell yeah.
ElinLove wrote: »
WolfMaster wrote: »
I'm guessing the servers run on Linux, if the game servers were to run on Windows, oh boy, Windows needs to restart for Windows Updates! We'd all be getting disconnected on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday

It's apparent you know little of server updates or how to set up even a desktop to prevent that. Server admin set update times and pick which updates to install. If not you would see half the worlds computers going down at random times. Now that would make things truly fun for network engineers like me.

I can only imagine stock trading PCs suddenly going "Windows is restarting to install updates" and all the suit guys running amuck screaming with their hands up in the air panicking

Don't they all have their hand in the air panicking anyways?

Anyways, Windows 10 home updates regardless because that how Microsoft made it. Any sensible business would be using at least the Pro Edition where updates can be controlled to a degree.
LesbianVi wrote: »
Sethryan wrote: »
Here u have some more i took screens.... Reported them like 100 times they are still arround.
[snip]

They are buying Elite, why ban? :awesome:

Because they are reselling it to players for real world money. for profit. Also known as RMT, which is against ToS (and EME will ban you for being an RMT, because it affects their profits).
66ECX7NAN7 wrote: »
but if you think about it for 2 seconds you'll realize that being able to instakill people with 1 click of the mouse button adds nothing of value to this game in particular.

It creates amusement for the person doing griefing and some of the bystanders. And, some people might even enjoy being the mouse in a cat and mouse game. They did choose to play on a pvp server.

Mudkip videos :3

I do wonder whether we could have avoided one of the few dungeon server restarts we had during the Valkyrie release if we had PvP, because it did act (even though we can't measure how much) as something that slowed down the tide of new characters hitting everything as fast as people couid level.
I've played TERA using Steam since Gunner release with no major issues that I've not been able to fix. Logged in last night after a two and half week break, bought EMP through Steam, used that to buy a 30 day Elite Status Voucher, popped the Voucher, restarted my client and happily did some warm up dungeons like I usually would after a break.

Today, started up, loaded TERA through Steam and the Launcher closed after log-in, but before it had done the patching and never re-opened. Re-tried through the Steam Launcher and then the TERA-Launcher.exe executable several times with the same result.

The only thing that appears to be different between today and yesterday is that yesterday I started my gaming session without Elite (even though I applied it within 10 minutes), where today I had Elite at the start of my gaming session (having applied it yesterday).

I then worked through all the documentation listed below, firstly through the Steam Launcher, then through directly executing TERA-Launcher.exe, then Steam Repair before trying Steam Launcher and TERA-Launcher.exe again, then uninstalling and installing TERA through Steam to get a fresh install and then repeating the steps with the Steam and then TERA-Launcher executables:

TERA Launcher Will Not Start / Is Already Running:
  • Running TERA as admin can only be done through executing TERA-launcher.exe directly, and that was just taking me back to the log in screen. I can log-in fine here and into Support so I don't see why I can't log-in to the game.
  • Adding TERA as a trusted program didn't work in all 4 different attempts
  • Update WIndows. I run Windows 10. It updates itself and all the drivers it can by itself
  • Manually Update Your Root Certificates (Advanced troubleshooting). Did Nothing.
  • Delete Your "game.version" File. Did Nothing.

Failed to initialise launcher
This didn't do anything because I would have the same symptoms. As non-admin, the Launcher would close after log-in. As admin, I would log-in and then get taken back to the log-in screen. This meant that I couldn't not accomplish the last step.

TERA's Launcher Settings
Seeing as this requires the Launcher to have made it past the log-in and patching process, this is not possible for me to complete because the Launcher doesn't even get past the patching process.

The Launcher is Not Loading
Tried unchecking all the suggested boxes and this had no effect.

Repair TERA To Resolve Common Issues
Repair through the TERA Launcher is not possible because the Launcher won't progress past the patching stage before closing. Steam Repair was already mentioned above.

Anyone got any ideas on where I could go from here? I'm currently waiting on two support tickets to be resolved, so I can't submit this as a support ticket yet (why is the limit for support tickets two at a time?).

Other games work. TERA for EU works. Everything but TERA NA works and I'm stuck on what to do to try and fix it.

PS: Also, rip that Elite 30 Days I popped yesteday. It looks like I won't be able to make use of it until I resolve this.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that server transfers haven't worked properly for the last few months and they're trying to fix it once and for all.
Get a Focused Circlet if you don't already have one. Yes, it's a nice-to-have and is a random proc (once in a 40 second period iirc), but mana is mana.
Don't post anything you don't won't others to see.

This is like Internet Posting 101, not just Discord...
For the record of my thread. I just want people to precaution while using it. Especially bots that spread viruses. Also not everyone has a VPN service. If privacy is a concern for you, then simply don't use it. I do admit that I've heard from people getting viruses from Discord. So be careful on who you invite too.

Discord itself is not the problem when it comes to viruses. it's what people are bolting onto it. But that applies to every other Internet connected service...

Hi, I would like to get some clarifications on some of the Brawler points on the patch notes:
The skill Growing Fury now increases the brawler’s Power by 45 (rather than 30). It also increases the Crit Factor to 50 (rather than 30), and MP consumption is now 250 (instead of 300).

When talking about Growing Fury, the main resource being "consumed" is Rage (currently at 300 Rage per second), not MP. Would the change in consumption be to Rage, or is it actually to MP?
The skill Quick Dash can be used a second time within 8 seconds of the first use of Quick Dash. Cooldown is changed from 5 seconds to 8 seconds, and is now calculated based on the initiation of the second use.

What the [filtered] is this in plain English? Are you saying that you're making it into the the same kind of thing as a Reaper/Ninja/Valkyrie iframe where you can "use the skill twice within 8 second and the cooldown starts on the second use of Dash"?
SocateKun wrote: »
The problem is easy to pinpoint and get to the root of it.
...are you actually serious? "All they need to do" is setup machines all over the world on different ISPs and physically travel to all the locations of all the suspect third-party routing nodes to inspect and diagnose their facility and equipment? Who in the world has that sort of authority and access? Do you have any idea how much that would cost? And besides, do you really think some tiny game publisher in Seattle has the responsibility and authority to diagnose and fix the entire world's routing problems?

They might not be able to present a business case right now to do that, but that does not mean that they could build the business case to do it to present to the board in stages. Actually, if people are submitting diagnostic logs through Support/e-mail to diag@enmasse.com, they at least have the player side of things and should be able to make a business case to go to the places from where the most complaints come from.

I handle a lot of data on quite a few servers as part of my job. If I cannot physically park my [filtered] on the case of the data server I hold my data on whenever I please, I have to use an encrypted VPN to connect to it for the security of the data whilst it is in transit from the data centre to me (with special provisions to forgo the encryption requirement in certain situations).

It would not surprise me if EME have a similar type of policy and procedure for connecting to their servers (they did do server time in UTC, so I do believe that they could implement the usage of VPNs for work connections to the servers for data protection).

If EME run their work connections through both VPN and clear connections, then what I am about to say is null and void

However, if they only run all their company connections to the servers through company approved VPNs, then EME would be in the situation where it may not be possible for them to see issues with the Internet (unless they are huge) because the VPN is smoothing out lag spikes in the connection between EME and the servers [1]. If this is the case, then a business case could be made to run the diagnostics on a straight, no-VPN/no proxy connection to see what is going on. Depending on the results, there may be a case to further expand an investigation based on evidence that EME have collected themselves (instead of just relying on the players reports).
SocateKun wrote: »
SocateKun wrote: »
To be honest your vision on what you ask players to do,is report some random data with no real world aplicability, I mean I have PPoE connection with dynamic IP thats like 0 help to you since my IP changes every time I close my internet connection, the diag tool from the launcher is outdated and serves no porpuse is like a dxdiag tool only it does a traceroute.
Unless you're actually changing your ISP every single day, what difference does your IP address make???

o_O

My work ISP bind the IP range that my company use to different physical nodes within the country. And those bindings change on average once a week, so one week the work traffic could be going through the capital city and the next week it could be going through a different node hundreds of miles away and route the "last mile" traffic internally (even though that "last mile" could be hundreds of miles)...

[1] I would like to point out here that this has been discussed multiple times on the forums and it was concluded that players using VPNs to smooth out ping spikes in their connection was against ToS. But that's a different discussion.
LesbianVi wrote: »
Australian you say? With this lagging going on you can barely see Muricans too. :winky:

But ping from Australia to TERA NA is 40ms...
HippyK wrote: »
Suggestion: Open Wonderholme test server again.

If lag spikes happen on that then at least you know it is neither the hardware nor the hosting companies at fault but something to do with the server software.

Lag spikes/disconnects so horrible right now. Unplayable.
CinnaMin wrote: »
What I find very odd about the random lag issues is that the test server, Wonderholme, didn't lag for me at all; even putting the game into the highest quality settings had me sitting comfortably at about 30FPS, even in Velika. I pushed 60 in the few areas I actually bothered to go to for leveling. I can only really play on Tempest Reach if all my graphics are at minimal graphics, minus textures. The game even ran smoothly; the smoothest I ever had it run for me in my four-or-so years of playing. I mean, I can idle comfortably at max on TR, but I certainly won't be doing anything else with my current machine! xD

I believe that WH was hosted in Seattle where the main servers are hosted in Chicago.

====

This post, much like the request by Geletron in his statement last month, says to me that EME is expecting people to be prepared to do (network) diagnostics when stuff goes wrong. It's really time consuming to file support tickets/write up a lag report and most people who want to play a game wouldn't find writing up error reports fun.

====

Also, the traceroute part of your diagnostics tool is pretty bad as it stops at the first node where it can't get a response and it won't go any further. This makes most of the traceroutes using the diagnostics tool from my location useless because the first node on the Internet provided by my ISP is configured so that it routes traffic to its destination, but not reply to ICMP ping packets (but it will forward them). Will you look into including a tool (such as standard Windows traceroute) that can work around this?

====
the issues began in May.

Are you serious? The community have been seriously vocal about lag issues since the beginning of the RMHM in October last year and it hasn't stopped. We're onto at least the third official thread on this since then, with previous threads getting to 20 and 38 pages respectively, as well as other smaller threads about it and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.
@seandynamite I'm concerned that the Allegiance Event is affecting the playability of the game because of how people can AFK for the rewards. Please see the bottom half of this post in the "What EME is doing to reduce lag in TERA" thread.
At 15:24 PDT/23:24 UTC+0100, ping to diag.enmasse.com was 110, but in game ping to Highwatch on Mount Tyrannas was 1189ms. If that's a routing issue, that's a [filtered] awesome route of 110ms from the UK, but 1189ms to the live server.
tracert diag.enmasse.com

Tracing route to diag.enmasse.com [208.67.49.180]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.193
  4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.212
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  core3-hu0-16-0-1.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.196]
  6    11 ms    11 ms    10 ms  213.137.183.38
  7    89 ms    89 ms    89 ms  ixp1-xe-1-1-0-0.us-ash.eu.bt.net [166.49.208.123]
  8    89 ms    88 ms    89 ms  166-49-169-110.eu.bt.net [166.49.169.110]
  9    89 ms    90 ms    89 ms  208.173.158.25
 10   110 ms   109 ms   110 ms  cr1-te-0-8-0-0.washington.savvis.net [204.70.207.121]
 11   111 ms   111 ms   111 ms  206.28.96.209
 12   109 ms   113 ms   110 ms  hr3-xe-8-0-0.elkgrovech3.savvis.net [204.70.198.73]
 13   109 ms   109 ms   108 ms  64.37.205.6
 14   110 ms   109 ms   109 ms  208.67.49.180

Trace complete.

cqe1fgE.jpg]

====

I had a reasonable run of okay-ish ping for about a week and then I've been having issues since a certain AFK event started. And I have friends all in the US who are telling me the exact same thing.

My theory on this is that the Open World part of Mount Tyrannas doesn't like lots of people logged in being AFK. It probably doesn't help that players are creatively using certain features in the game (such as the Training Golems for Zerker Tanking in Highwatch to keep toons in combat) to stay AFK.

I'm also going to guess that since this is a extremely low effort for rewards event, there are a load of people that wouldn't normally playing who have just logged on for the 5 hours a day free stuff over the weekend. If this is the case, then server load is increased even further beyond what EME may have expected.

And of course, you won't find a lot of these players complaining about lag because they aren't actually doing anything to interact with the game apart from logging in and staying still, so they would never notice the lag.

Only players that were trying to do something would notice, and I would think that those figures have gone down this weekend because of the motivation to be afk.
@Uptown Here is a spreadsheet of all the gear stats after the buffs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmvdb4LoUQ9iubg59mRJkIBmFyuBsDloHbfUZKsKhkk/edit#gid=109019359
So can we assume the reset time for the blue bar is noon PDT?
gmdynamite wrote: »
Whew! Thanks to @Spacecats for getting me set up with an account so I could stop sending messages via @Halrath =)

Hopefully everything is a bit clearer now; There are 6 repeatable daily rewards (based on playtimes between 30 minutes and 5 hours per day) that will reset at 4 AM Pacific and 6 non-repeatable event rewards (based on playtimes between 2 hours and 12 hours over the course of the 72 hours that the event will run).

I hope to see y'all in game this weekend and be nice to any low level human male archers you may see bouncing along, it might be me.
SageWindu wrote: »
clfarron4 wrote: »
Warriors are a nightmare to play with a controller if you played it with a keyboard previously. Doable, but hard.

(coughs)

I said coming from a keyboard.

I've got a guildie that is going the other way from a controller to a keyboard and they would say the same about playing on keyboards.

Honestly, if you learn to play with a controller, then so be it.
I think the rewards would be per account.. It would be quite unfair to others who aren't able to have many alts @clfarron4

I'd like to think that, but you gotta get the clarification so that we don't end up with a situation where EME would turn off the event for a day whilst they change it from a per-toon basis to account only and everyone would lose a day.
You can contact Tera Online dev tracker at contact@teradevtracker.com - Privacy policy - Tera Online dev tracker is not affiliated with Tera Online or En Masse entertainment.