TERA Online forum archive
General Discussion: This Hotfix Update Hopes
View post on Tera forums#1 VGPlayer06/14/2017, 03:45 PM
Here is hoping this fixes the controller bug for controller users because its quite game breaking for those who use controllers. Its like aiming with WDSA for keybored users instead your mouse. x.x

Note hot fixes aren't usually posted like ever. Only if there major.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news-page/patch-notes/patch-560302-en2
View post on Tera forums#2 Tenshi106/14/2017, 07:09 PM
Lol have you read the VSHM patch notes?

http://tera.enmasse.com/news-page/patch-notes/patch-560302en1

And it wasn't a bug, it was intended. @Halrath had explained things to us in my thread here https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/comment/130579#Comment_130579
View post on Tera forums#3 VGPlayer06/14/2017, 08:56 PM
Oh. .... x.x Its like they want us to quit or something....
View post on Tera forums#4 VGPlayer06/14/2017, 08:58 PM
I can only picture range classes not being able to aim or something like Zelda ztargeting will play effect.... Just please no... I hope someone finds in game fix soon like "/controller settings Camra mode 1 or something like that
to fix this issue.
View post on Tera forums#5 ElinLove06/14/2017, 10:43 PM
Tenshi1 wrote: »
Lol have you read the VSHM patch notes?

http://tera.enmasse.com/news-page/patch-notes/patch-560302en1

And it wasn't a bug, it was intended. @Halrath had explained things to us in my thread here https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/comment/130579#Comment_130579

Being intended doesn't mean they should stick with it. That's what we hope, it gets fixed for real.
Last thing they did was just tossing the problem around for who used camera direction instead, and now I have to cope with this method that I just can't use, if I'm to play any DPS.
Simply, no I'm not gonna play with this system so I'm just playing Priest every now and then, and otherwise waiting for a fix.
View post on Tera forums#6 Tenshi106/14/2017, 11:31 PM
I'm not saying they should stick it, just informing them that BHS made it this way (Unfortunately...:()

And range classes have always been camera faced, no change there (I haven't played my sorc since the patch but it says it's the same as it always has been, other than the backstep and retreat, which they changed some time ago)
View post on Tera forums#7 ElinLove06/15/2017, 12:20 AM
Tenshi1 wrote: »
I'm not saying they should stick it, just informing them that BHS made it this way (Unfortunately...:()

And range classes have always been camera faced, no change there (I haven't played my sorc since the patch but it says it's the same as it always has been, other than the backstep and retreat, which they changed some time ago)

Thanks for the reminder, yeah since they have the target system, just like a lock, you can't make it any other way than facing camera (it has to follow the target after all). Good reminder there, may get back at Sorcerer or Archer then. I'm holding off from playing any melee for now cause I just don't feel like I should be forced to adapt, specially since they don't seem to make up their mind either (It was almost all in camera direction then they changed to character direction for no apparent reason).
View post on Tera forums#8 Edomdrah06/16/2017, 12:23 AM
Once upon a time, I used to play a reaper named Hardmode. I played with a wireless controller on my laptop which was hooked up to a projector in my living room. I had a jolly good time massacring Valley of Titans (yes, as in the server in general) back in the day and KoSing people for sh!ts n' giggles.
I was away playing other games for about a year and a half (BnS, mostly some Nier Automata and FF15 here and there). I logged on last night thinking I'd give my a reaper a spin for nostalgia's sake (and my wife, whom i met in tera wants me to play again)... and boy was it awful.
To think that the option they choose was not to provide a third setting (mixed).. but instead to get rid of the first two options -> character facing/camera facing... I'm going to explain how this ruins my reaper experience:
1.) Pendulum strike -> whipsaw combo utility => dead
2.) Dashing behind after first stagger from double shear to use pendulum strike => dead
3.) PvP angular flexibility => dead
4.) Changing direction of smite stun without moving in that direction (or moving camera) => dead
5.) Changing direction of Sunder KD without moving in that direction (or moving camera) => dead
My point being: YOU SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO HAVE AN ACTIVE INPUT DIRECTION IN FOR A SKILL TO BE CHARACTER FACING vice camera facing.
The end result of this reduction in controller flexibility has been to dramatically lessen my ability to play my favorite class.
I want my old character direction based skill input back. They broke it with the update patch and it's ruining using a controller for the classes I loved.

P.S. I'm refusing to come back until this [filtered] is fixed >_>
View post on Tera forums#9 ElinLove06/16/2017, 01:44 AM
I'm also put off from playing Valkyrie, that I intended to gear up this patch. I wanted to "git gud" at tanking with Lancer too and guess if I'll do it now??? Naaaah! Thanks Bluehole studio, you do know what's better for us, better than we know it right?
Since I'm not that into the idea of playing Archer right now, specially knowing one of my skills is utterly useless at 180ms, and not much in the mood for Sorcerer, I'm not gonna keep grinding Priest over and over as well. It just puts me off from playing.

Bluehole Studio please learn one thing: No, you don't know what's better for us more than we do. There was an option to chose which one, and options are there for the one choosing to decide what's better.
View post on Tera forums#10 Tenshi106/16/2017, 02:21 AM
But, lancer plays like it did before they turned everything camera facing
ElinLove wrote: »
There was an option to chose which one, and options are there for the one choosing to decide what's better.

^ This all the way. I just wish everyone was happy again like they were when this was an option
View post on Tera forums#11 Edomdrah06/16/2017, 02:56 AM
Has anyone else in this thread so far submitted tickets to support btw? I feel like this is an issue that needs more than just forum mod's notice... Especially if we want it fixed any time soon... It's one thing if they expanded player options in a way where players could choose to be less advantaged, but in this case they reduced our options and made all controller based players further dis-advantaged.
Edomdrah wrote: »
Has anyone else in this thread so far submitted tickets to support btw? I feel like this is an issue that needs more than just forum mod's notice... Especially if we want it fixed any time soon... It's one thing if they expanded player options in a way where players could choose to be less advantaged, but in this case they reduced our options and made all controller based players further dis-advantaged.

Support isn't going to do anything about it, considering that's how the game is supposed to be. Your best bet would be to make sure a GM gets the message and relays it to BHS, so posting on the forum or PM'ing them is the best choice.
View post on Tera forums#13 Xiaolin06/16/2017, 11:11 AM
I've managed to get used to it, i just push forward on movement at most times while using the camera to aim as usual. Sometimes I still whiff an attack, but not too often.
View post on Tera forums#14 Tenshi106/16/2017, 02:31 PM
Xiaolin wrote: »
I've managed to get used to it, i just push forward on movement at most times while using the camera to aim as usual. Sometimes I still whiff an attack, but not too often.

I'm used to holding forward anyway *grew up playing Sonic* (Although that habit has had me flying to the dark abyss going on rails a few times xD)
View post on Tera forums#15 Edomdrah06/16/2017, 06:14 PM
You can't just "get used" to losing a key nuance in PvP... the ability to chose whether you move in the direction of a skill or not isn't something you can just lose and still play competitively with. It's the difference between landing a stun on someone right behind you(smite) or wasting a stun and ending up a few meters forward and out of range for a follow up skill...

I'm not appealing to casual players here by the way... I understand that alot of players don't have the experience or just haven't thought out every aspect the game has to offer. I'm not arguing you can't play with the new controls. I'm arguing that you can't play competitively with the new controls...
View post on Tera forums#16 Tenshi106/17/2017, 02:03 PM
Edomdrah wrote: »
I'm arguing that you can't play competitively with the new controls...
Argument denied.

The new controls is exactly why I can try to pvp with valk, which I couldn't before.

Whatever's not good for you, doesn't mean it's not good for other people. In fact, it can be really good for (some) other players.

So your argument is denied.
View post on Tera forums#17 Edomdrah06/17/2017, 03:11 PM
Why don't we take a second and compare who's saying what...

I'm saying it reduces my ability to play competitively as a former 1st place holder of champion skyring and Gridiron and top 4 player(at least) in every other BG. I literally set a standard of PvP for multiple servers when I played. When I quit playing people actually fought over who would be the next "me"(Hardmode), in 2 years of my absence I can return and still be revered by the veterans on my server >_>

So, what have you accomplished with the current control scheme?

For you to out of hand just deny my assertion because the new play style suits you, is unreasonable. You haven't given a legitimate method for how to compensate for the functionality I'm claiming is lost either. You just made a claim about how it's valkyrie friendly...

There is absolutely no reason they can't just include the current "hybrid" control scheme as a 3rd option for people who don't know any better. For those of us who do know better though... it's [filtered].
View post on Tera forums#18 Edomdrah06/17/2017, 03:40 PM
Tenshi1 wrote: »
Edomdrah wrote: »
I'm arguing that you can't play competitively with the new controls...
Argument denied.

The new controls is exactly why I can try to pvp with valk, which I couldn't before.

Whatever's not good for you, doesn't mean it's not good for other people. In fact, it can be really good for (some) other players.

So your argument is denied.

I think you missed the part where I said I wasn't talking about the casual players here (whom may never actually get deep enough into PvP to be able to discern what my criticism of the new control system even is).

If need be, I can just argue from a status of authority on the subject >_>, reference:
Ranks.png


With the old control scheme I set a standard for PvP on my reaper that caused people from other server to transfer just to play with me, and caused people i KoSed (killed on sight) to transfer to avoid me. For me 1v1 was the exception to the rule, I was effectively the party boss at velika outskirts that you better not had forgotten your healer for. When i retired, people literally fought over who would be the next "me".

To deny my argument on the basis that "it's not good for you =/= not good for other people", is to IGNORE the fact that I was literally the best at my class (reaper vs. anything) for nearly a year and a half. Not best because i said so, or because I wanted to be; best because no one could match me with that control scheme.

So, deny all you want, but my point stands. This control scheme directly causes a loss of functionality for controller users that puts them at a disadvantage compared to the previous scheme as well as compared to keyboard/mouse players.

P.S.
Yes, i did name change from Hardmode -> Nyx.
View post on Tera forums#19 Tenshi106/17/2017, 06:16 PM
@Edomdrah Yes, i did name change from Hardmode -> Nyx.
-
That's probably a good idea xD

You're basically telling me that you're Tera God and that what you say goes... And that if the new setup is easier for someone(In PVP as well), they're automatically a "casual" player. Yeah okay
View post on Tera forums#20 Edomdrah06/17/2017, 06:24 PM
Nyx (green mythology version) matched the reaper story and my status as top reaper at the time.

And no, no one is "automatically" a casual player. Someone who either doesn't understand the disadvantage of the current control scheme vs the previous control scheme, or hasn't yet experienced it is probably a "casual" player.
View post on Tera forums#21 Catservant06/17/2017, 06:54 PM
ElinLove wrote: »
Bluehole Studio please learn one thing: No, you don't know what's better for us more than we do. There was an option to chose which one, and options are there for the one choosing to decide what's better.

I see this as a major problem at BHS. A lot of the content they create seems to be very proprietary (this is the way we intended it and we will lock down any other way of using it!). This seems to put an adversarial edge to the interaction between player and creator as we keep trying to have fun with the game in unorthodox ways. It is one way to attempt to try to prevent cheating and abuse, I suppose, but it seems to generalize to the controller issues, the general feel of being railroaded as to the one "right way" to play the game, build your character, etc. Sorry I'm not thinking of any better specifics right now...

Compare this to Elder Scrolls Online, where how you play the game is extremely fluid--even to allowing, even encouraging, the use of mods and third party software. This allows for PLAYERS to help fix issues with the game. Somehting I desperately wish BHS would allow. (Letting us help, not thisrd party stuff)

There are some extremely technically savvy people here, who are highly motivated to improve their gaming experience. If we knew more of the details, there would be many suggestions. A few of those might even be useful to the people actually fixing the problem. I'm reminded of the supercomputer the made out of an ungodly number of X-Boxes.

If, for instance, BHS allowed people with controllers to choose how to play--what would be harmed? My perception is that BHS just (hopefully subconsciously) believes they know better than we do what works for us, what's fun for us.

The worst of it is, I truly believe BHS is working their tails off trying to make the best game they can. I used to play Zynga games. I know what a company that doesn't care at all looks like.

View post on Tera forums#22 Edomdrah06/17/2017, 11:18 PM
For anyone interested in the specifics of the issue and would like to support me in the "game suggestions" forum, here's the link: https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/15911/restore-controller-functionality#latest
Edomdrah wrote: »
Tenshi1 wrote: »
Edomdrah wrote: »
I'm arguing that you can't play competitively with the new controls...
Argument denied.

The new controls is exactly why I can try to pvp with valk, which I couldn't before.

Whatever's not good for you, doesn't mean it's not good for other people. In fact, it can be really good for (some) other players.

So your argument is denied.

I think you missed the part where I said I wasn't talking about the casual players here (whom may never actually get deep enough into PvP to be able to discern what my criticism of the new control system even is).

If need be, I can just argue from a status of authority on the subject >_>, reference:
Ranks.png


With the old control scheme I set a standard for PvP on my reaper that caused people from other server to transfer just to play with me, and caused people i KoSed (killed on sight) to transfer to avoid me. For me 1v1 was the exception to the rule, I was effectively the party boss at velika outskirts that you better not had forgotten your healer for. When i retired, people literally fought over who would be the next "me".

To deny my argument on the basis that "it's not good for you =/= not good for other people", is to IGNORE the fact that I was literally the best at my class (reaper vs. anything) for nearly a year and a half. Not best because i said so, or because I wanted to be; best because no one could match me with that control scheme.

So, deny all you want, but my point stands. This control scheme directly causes a loss of functionality for controller users that puts them at a disadvantage compared to the previous scheme as well as compared to keyboard/mouse players.

P.S.
Yes, i did name change from Hardmode -> Nyx.

HAHAHAHA
reapers these days.
View post on Tera forums#24 ElinLove06/17/2017, 11:40 PM
Edomdrah wrote: »
For anyone interested in the specifics of the issue and would like to support me in the "game suggestions" forum, here's the link: https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/15911/restore-controller-functionality#latest

left my lengthy input on the topic there. Also brought into it the console port, as it's entirely relevant, being that the main control system expected on consoles is the game controller.

Let's keep both topics alive, and I really hope GMs and CMs are also not ignoring this topic, and could forward this to the developers of the game, that in turn I hope are not just turning a blind eye to it and arrogantly ignoring it.
View post on Tera forums#25 VGPlayer06/18/2017, 01:01 AM
Random Tid bit there are things called hardcore casuel players in game. in tera nearly non existing. but they aren't new with a lot of skill and play daily but seem to enjoy the game with out being toxic. I consider my self as a hardcore casual player.
View post on Tera forums#26 Tenshi106/18/2017, 01:47 AM
VGPlayer wrote: »
Random Tid bit there are things called hardcore casuel players in game. in tera nearly non existing. but they aren't new with a lot of skill and play daily but seem to enjoy the game with out being toxic. I consider my self as a hardcore casual player.

Same here \o
View post on Tera forums#27 KnightFalz06/18/2017, 07:31 AM
Edomdrah wrote: »
To deny my argument on the basis that "it's not good for you =/= not good for other people", is to IGNORE the fact that I was literally the best at my class (reaper vs. anything) for nearly a year and a half. Not best because i said so, or because I wanted to be; best because no one could match me with that control scheme.

So, deny all you want, but my point stands. This control scheme directly causes a loss of functionality for controller users that puts them at a disadvantage compared to the previous scheme as well as compared to keyboard/mouse players.

P.S.
Yes, i did name change from Hardmode -> Nyx.

What is ideal for you isn't by definition ideal for everyone. That you personally did very will with the previous controls doesn't suggest that control style was unquestionably superior for all. That a person prefers another control scheme doesn't mean they are unquestionably a casual player that doesn't know better.

If you are literally the best you should be able to adapt to the new control scheme. If you cannot, than you may have been the best with the old control scheme, but that is only a qualified best for which the needed circumstances no longer apply.
View post on Tera forums#28 Edomdrah06/18/2017, 04:46 PM
@KnightFalz
You misunderstand the reason I'm arguing from authority. I'm not saying it's because I was good that the controls shouldn't have changed. I'm saying that because I was good I could identify functionality that was lost with the change to the current scheme.
You can contact Tera Online dev tracker at contact@teradevtracker.com - Privacy policy - Tera Online dev tracker is not affiliated with Tera Online or En Masse entertainment.