I’m Michael, aka Noesis, the new Product Manager for TERA. I’ll be taking over early in the new year when Denommenator hands over the reins. Before you ask, the title we used to use at En Masse was ‘Producer’, but we’ve changed it to ‘Product Manager’ for a bunch of reasons I can talk about if you’re really interested. But the TL;DR is I’m the one who is responsible for making TERA awesome and keeping things rolling and unsticking things when they get stuck. On to the gaming cred, because I’m sure you’re all wondering about the new guy with the title “Product Manager” and how much of a gamer I could possibly be.
- I used to play on MUDs via telnet back in the late 80s and early 90s, including one called Tsunami.
- My first real MMO was Everquest, which I played in Vanilla, then did small group content in Kunark, followed by endgame raiding in the Scars of Velious expansion. My claim to shame is having camped the Ancient Cyclops in the Ocean of Tears for 18 hours straight to get the Ancient Cyclops Ring for the JBoots Quest. I still have that warrior …
- The games I play the most right now in my free time that aren’t MMOs are the Soulsborne games. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc. I’ll talk about organic vs. mechanical difficulty and game design until you get bored.
- My first ever computer RPG I played was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord for the Apple //e. I still have the box, the disks, and the Apple //e. Last time I plugged it in, it still worked.
When it comes to TERA I will admit to being a bit of a noobasaurus rex. With the various holidays coming and going, and getting up to speed on all things TERA behind the scenes, I haven’t had a ton of time, but I do play, and I currently have one mid 60s Gunner on Tempest Reach, and I try to carve out time to play every weekend. I have been working through the questline in Spring Valley, but I’m most excited to go back once I hit the cap and try to solo some of the pre-60 storyline dungeons. My goal is to level up a few different characters and see if I prefer DPS, Tanking, or Healing. I’ve been all 3 in previous MMOs, but usually gravitated towards the healer role. Something to do with staring at health bars and making sure nobody tipped over…
That said, I’m having more fun leveling up and running through dungeons in TERA than I’ve had in an MMO in years. I am very excited to be a part of working on an MMO after literal decades of time spent playing different games.
Now on to some various facts about me that will make me appear to be a genuine human, and not a wolf in a human costume. First, let me sit upright in this chair with my vertical human spine and use my 10 fingers to type …
- Every year I travel to Portland OR for the HP Lovecraft Film Festival.
- My favorite band is The Residents
- I’ve spent the night on an abandoned artificially-made island in the Pacific Ocean
- I have 3 cats: Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, and Hatchetface. All of them are feral rescues.
- I paint miniatures in my spare time, mostly Warmachine/Hordes. I don’t play any tabletop games anymore, but I really like buying the books and using them as reference for the painting.
- I like to play board games, but only cooperative ones. Personal favorites are Arkham Horror (or Eldritch Horror), Defenders of the Realm, and other “Ameritrash” style games with lots of fiddly bits. I’m excitedly waiting for the Dark Souls Board Game kickstarter to deliver.
And since you asked, my forum name is the Greek term for the capability to understand what is true or real, or the facility for reason and rational thought in the human mind.
This is an example of my painting "skills":
This is Nyarlathotep:
This is Hatchetface:
Spacecats has made some rumblings about getting me on the Twitch stream tomorrow, so I hope to see everybody there!